Frequently Asked Questions
- I finished the 30 day Bowel Balancing Detox program. What should I do now?
It is important that you do not resume your previous habits and stop the protocol completely. 30 days is not enough to undo the imbalances that have developed over time. Your hard work and commitment, over the past 30 days, has been enough to shift your chemistry and start the healing process. Call to make an appointment for a follow-up consultation, re-testing, and a personalized transition plan that will include advice for supplemental herbs and nutrients, dietary recommendations, and possibly new protocols to facilitate the removal of heavy metals, strengthening of adrenal glands, liver, gallbladder, hormones, etc..
- You told me to fast for 2 hours before my appointment. Is it OK if I don't eat anything during the day of my appointment?
NO. It is important that you eat at least one meal before your appointment and preferable that you have a small bite to eat about 2 1/2 hours before your appointment so that your blood sugar is not low. You may continue to drink plain water, as your normally would, within the two hours before your appointment. However make sure that nothing else goes into your mouth for two hours before your appointment. That includes no juice, coffee, tea, toothpaste, cigarettes, chewing gum, breath mints, etc.. Your appointment will take anywhere between 1 hour and 1 1/2 hours so bring along a snack if you think you may get hungry.
- I'm confused. When should I take my probiotic? The bottle says to take it with food however I read that it should be taken on an empty stomach.
Stomach acid reduces the effectiveness of the probiotic therefore it is important to take it when your stomach acid is low. Stomach acid is typically lowest about 20 minutes after eating or between meals. If your recommendations include taking Betaine HCL or Apple Cidre Vinegar or an antifungal/antiparasite such as Oil of Oregano it is important that you take the probiotic at least 3 hours away from taking these supplements. I often recommend that people take their probiotics before bed and with nothing else.
- Do I have to buy "gluten-free" oats while I am doing the Bowel Balancing Program?
Oats are naturally gluten-free, however they are typically cut in a factory that cuts grains that have gluten. Therefore, if you have a gluten allergy, you must buy oats that are labelled gluten-free . If you are not allergic to gluten you may purchase regular oats.
- I am doing the Bowel Balancing Program and I am constipated. What can I do?
It is very important that you drink one full glass of water in the morning with lemon juice when you take the anti-parasite/anti-fungal capsules. 20 mintues later, you must drink another two full glasses of water when you take the fibre. Throughout the day, ensure you drink at least 2L of pure water. If you take fibre and do not drink enough water then you will become constipated. The tea that is part of the package helps ensure you have regular bowel movements. The longer you steep the tea the stronger its effects. Steep the tea, covered, for 20 minutes and squeeze out the tea bag before drinking it in the evening. Do not eat after drinking the tea and before going to bed. If you are still constipated the next day, you can do one or both of the following:
1. Soak in a warm bath with 1-2 cups Epson salts for 20 minutes, no longer. The water should cover your belly.
2. Dissolve 4 tsp Epson salt in a warm glass of water with ½ fresh squeezed lemon juice (shaking it in a jar works best). Drink it with a straw to avoid tasting it. Follow with a second glass of water. You should have a bowel movement within 4-6 hours. You may feel some cramping and/or have diarrhea. Do not do this regularly. Only do it if you are constipated during the program and the other recommendations do not relieve the constipation.
- I am doing the Bowel Balancing Program and I have a terrible headache and feel sick. What should I do?
This can be a normal reaction during the program. It is sometimes called a healing crisis. If you feel like stopping the program, contact me to discuss your concerns. If you are having a healing crisis I may be able to provide some suggestions to help you feel more comfortable. A healing crisis typically lasts only 1 to 3 days and then you will often feel much better and more energetic than when you started the program.
- I am doing the Bowel Balancing Program and my condition is getting worse! What should I do?
Believe it or not this may actually be a positive sign. Your condition will often get worse just before it gets better. If you feel like stopping the program, contact me to discuss your concerns. I can help you decide what to do and may be able to provide some suggestions to help you feel more comfortable.
- I am not quite finished the Bowel Balancing Program and I feel great! Can I stop doing it before the 30 days is up?
NO. It is important that you complete the entire 30 days and transition to normal eating habits slowly. Even though you feel better, 30 days is not enough to completely balance the bowel. If you stop early the stronger yeast, parasites and pathogens may become even stronger. You have put such a wonderful effort into it that it would be a shame to back-track. After 30 days you will likely still need to take an antifungal/antiparasite and probiotics to continue to kill off the stronger pathogens that may be immune the herbs that you are currently taking. Stick to the program and schedule a follow-up appointment to discuss next steps and to ensure that your hard work is not compromised.